Package DataBase View output a HTML view of a RPM or dpkg database. Its modular design allows easy addition of others package management database and export format (as xml).
Why using it:
- it does not require lucid/gtk+/qt or other big libs.
- it does not require a web server - but it can be used with a web server, as any other html files.
- it does not require a X server running, you can use a text mode browser that support frames as links.
- it does not require special privileges to access to the output. But access can be restricted by using chmod/chown (filesystem) or .htaccess (apache).
- since output is generated by a cronjob, access to the output is as fast as your computer is able to read/serve text files.
Why not using it:
- it's purpose is not to manage packages installed.
- since output is generated by a cronjob, informations are dated, and can be outdated if the database change very frequently.
This project has the following developers:
Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.