Rygel 0.10 is here!
We just made our first stable releases of Rygel after many months of active development. I used to post a blog entry after each release with the full-log but I stopped doing that because some people didn't like it going to planet GNOME and I thought chances are high that other viewer might also be getting annoyed by it.
Anways, I would like to highlight some of the changes since 0.8.3:
- Lots of improvements to our interoperability with other DLNA devices in the market.
- Many optimizations to search, browse and streaming.
- More efficient and correct use of Tracker APIs.
- Richer media hierarchies.
- Simplified transcoding by use of new 'encodebin' GStreamer element.
- Preferences UI has been trimmed down to only provide a few options that users actually need. The plan is for this UI to disappear completely in GNOME 3.2 in favor of better (more integrated with rest of the desktop) alternatives.
- More configurability (through config files, commandline and environment) for power users.
- Ability to use Rygel as only a streaming server (without advertising it on the network).
- Ability to bind Rygel to specific networks by their ESSID or network IP address.
- Loads of random bug fixes.
- Port to more modern APIs. For example port from dbus-glib and GValue usage to GDBus and GVariant.