WWDC is almost here. We did some set-up at the San Jose Convention Center today for the "Open Source at Apple" session on Monday. Dave will have some cool stuff to demo Monday.
I wrote up a neat little demo for Friday's "BSD in Mac OS X" session. I'm really happy with this one, because it makes a great case for why having BSD commands around would be a good thing even in an environment that has no interactive command line available.
More info on both will be available after each session. In the meantime, we'll keep the folks going to the show in suspense.
I spent most of the week getting ready for WWDC. Other than that, I updated some 3rd-party code in Darwin: groff 1.15, patch 2.5.4, GNU make 3.79, GNU grep 2.4.2, GNU tar 1.13, and Kerberos 1.1.
Since the export control situation has improved, the kerberos source is available in the external Darwin repository. We'll also be shipping a Kerberos framework (shared library) now. Previously, we only released the base clients and the server, which statically linked in the the library. With the public framework in place, we can start looking at kerberizing more system services, and include support for encrypted network sessions, etc.
Also in that vein, I've been porting OpenSSH, which is also in the Darwin repository. It builds happily, but it also blows up due to a bus error I haven't had time to debug. I'm using egd in lieu of /dev/random in order to make progress, but we'll also need to get /dev/random working.
I'm in the middle of updatng Tcl, but got bogged down in Makefile hooey and then I got distracted. I get back to it after I get emacs, tcsh, and sendmail updated, which I think will bring most of the upstream goodies in Darwin back up to current versions.