Darwin 1.0 launched today, where today is the 5th, but I guess editing an entry changes the date on it. Oops.
So after I started this diary, the press latched onto it as "news" and things got a little nutty. The Intel port is something I've promising for about a year now, so I was kind of surprised that everyone got all excited about it.
Once again- I compiled for Intel, but I did that on a PowerPC Mac. I have not yet booted Darwin on Intel, and I'd be quite surprised if Darwin 1.0 worked unmodified on Intel. There is still work to be done there.
By the way, it should be noted that I think it's a dissapointing that this "Intel thing" was made into a big deal, and yet nobody seemed to care that my truck was kidnapped. The news never mentions the important stuff.
Anyway... Last week, I updated Apache in Darwin to 1.3.12, a long overdue update, and I updated Perl to 5.6.0. I also ported automake, because it was really easy. Each sqeaked their way into the 1.0 release. The Perl update is a big milestone for me. Many Darwin projects come from 3rd parties, and I've managed to get our diffs up to the upstream guys for most of these, but Perl has been a difficult one. The skanky-nasty Configure script Perl uses was the biggest obstacle. But after 2 years, it's finally done, and 5.6.0 support Mac OS X Server fully, and has my current patches for Mac OS X, so we're finnally sync'ed up. I have to thank Jarkko for his help (and prodding) in making this happen.
We've started to get some more patches for Darwin lately. I hope this is a sign that activity will be picking up. Detlev Droege contributed a patch to automount which let it read flat-file mount maps, which it did in OpenStep, but broke way back in Rhapsody. We were happy to see this get fixed, since it's one of those "we'll get around to it someday" bugs that's been around for a long time.
The Darwin 1.0 image turned out to be a lot bigger than expected, around 220 MB. The 0.3 image was around 60 MB. We have a lot more components in 1.0, and the fact that all binaries have code for two architectures now are reasons for it.
The www.publicsource.apple.com web server has been quite busy the past couple of days, and apparently we've been sucking up a lot of Apple's network bandwidth, which isn't so nice. I've got the server set to a max of 256 clients, and during the day, it's pinned at 256 connections. The cool thing is that this is being served up by just one machine, a B&W G3 running Mac OS X Server 1.0 plus an updated kernel. We're marketing Mac OS X Server as a low-to-medium-end web server, but this machine is holding up really well under a pretty heavy load, and it's moving a lot of data out pretty quickly. Uptime is 98 days. This may not impress the FreeBSD user, but for a first attempt at a server OS from our group, I'm pretty jazzed about it.
We ended up needing two Darwin installers. One is the same as the Darwin 0.3 net download and requires that you wipe out a whole disk (the 0.3 CD installer used yet another mechanism which let you install onto a partition). This one is required for what we call "Old World" machines, which turns out to be everything Beige. On "New World" machines (iMac, colorful PowerMac, newer PowerBooks, iBooks) we can get away with a single-partition install. Unfortunately, we found a bug in the Old World installer, so only the New World image was available for the launch.