I needed to port it to C to get better performance because of the number of hits I was getting against the cache. I set up a cache on my server expecting to get about 1m hits per month. But, it looks like I'll get about 10m-25m and use about 3GB-6GB in bandwidth. There's about 175 active caches right now, we need more. If you'd be willing to run a copy of this CGI once it reaches v1.0 please let me know. The more caches, the less bandwidth each cache will use. If we could get a 5000 caches running, the load and bandwidth useage would probably be low enough that we'd hit a critical mass point and anyone could run one.
I've also started working on patches for some of the opensource p2p projects including GTK-Gnutella and QTella to make them better integrate and better balance across the gnutella web caches.
I gave couple friends accounts on my server so that we can start to work on some free software projects together. I'm trying to work with them to get a security project off the ground, which is one of the reasons for my recent interest in the p2p stuff. We're going to try and use FSPN (gnutella and bittorrent) to distribute the results of the security project.
ummm... It looks like I'll be taking a trip to pittsburgh soon and I've started hanging out on irc.freenode.net.
I set up an account on Friendster, which is really really cool. If I know you and I forgot to invite you, click here. If not, check it out any way, it's really cool - it would be super neat to apply some of the ideas deployed there to advogato (you can only see people in your social/friend network, and you get to approve or reject their comments about you.)
Things are going a little more smoothly now that I'm starting to really get the hang of the non-technical side of my job. But things are still very slow due to the poor economy in the US. I'm focused right now on building up my certs.