Well, I finally completed my requirements for three personal projects that are in the works. Of course these will be created using Perl. The projects in question will require some sorta database management scheme. One of my top requirements is that whatever database I choose, it MUST be lightweight and portable. In other words, the only required action for the end-user is to copy the app and that's it! No previous DB required! I suppose I'm talking about a flat file db (plus). I think MySQL is overkill and I want a DB that does not require compilations of any kind. I'm left with the following choices:
- Comma seperated valued (CSV) DB (using DBD::CSV??)
- Some type of heirarchal scheme (directory structured based)
- ndbm and the like, the kind that comes bundle with UNIX/Linux OSes.
- Give in and go with MySQL, since my web host offers it, but unfortunately my work does not..we use Oracle.
- homegrown?? sounds tempting...I like the idea of digging into DB design theory..hmm
The search continues...