My laptop came with a built-in winmodem, and since at the time that I first installed Ubuntu I only had access to a dial-up internet connection, I of course needed that. However, it didn’t work out of the box (this was Hoary). After quite a bit of very confused e-mailing, Google, and such (I didn’t even know what a winmodem was/meant), I found a solution that worked from Linuxant. (I’d like to thank the Linmodems mailing list for this.) Anyways, getting to the point, I just noticed a small snippet in Issue 51 of the UWN indicating that there was a driver package available from Dell now as well. For more information on that, check out this post on the Direct2Dell blog. I’m not 100% sure, but it appears that this is the same driver, except now available for free. Note that it is still not free, in terms that it is not open-source, but at least now perhaps there is an option that doesn’t cost $20. I have not yet tested this package on my system, but plan to.