I accidentally posted a reply to the Micrsoft's new tactics article. Sorry about that. I hit the submit button, realized I'd stupidly misspelled "proselytizing," and tried to stop the connection before it submitted. (This usually works, since our connection is so slow.)
Again, sorry. Didn't mean to post twice, though I took that chance when I did it, understanding the possible repurcussions
I worked around the WindowMaker menu/docking problems. I wrote some menu management scripts that create stub scripts to launch applications from the appropriate server. Now we can install the same menu on any of our machines, adjust a file specifying the location of the stubs and the servers from which the apps are run, and then run an install script. It's much easier than it sounds, and it works well.
This is a problem with X11, and not with WindowMaker, per se. X11 apps report the binary invocation, and not the shell script used to launch the binary. Since we use a lot of shell script wrappers to set up environment variables, log events, etc, this makes it difficult to inform the window manager how to properly re-launch the application.
My solution is definitely sub-optimal, but works well.