Many things happened since my last diary entry.. Patrick Mochel submitted his new Linux driver model, which was much more radical than my humble attempt at collecting device data only, and it got into the 2.5 kernel. This made my Device Registry patch pretty obsolete which isn't too bad because I did not want to work on kernel stuff forever.
So I moved on to work on further items of my virtual TODO list to make KDE/Linux a more enjoyable desktop.
By accident I found x0rfbserver, a VNC implementation that shares your X11 session instead of creating a new one. Remote desktop administration was on my TODO list, so I ported it to KDE and created KRfb. It was also a nice little thing to get started with KDE development which I never did before. Two weeks later (we're now around christmas) the port was finished, but I did not want to release it before I got some response from x0rfbserver's author. So I started another small project: WebDAV support for kio_http. I added all the new commands, header fields and status code, but the biggest part, XML parsing of WebDAV responses is still missing. On January 2nd I was fed up waiting for x0rfbserver comments and released the first version officially. I got more reactions than I thought, especially from people who wanted TightVNC support and so I decided to add it. While looking at the RFB protocol implementation of x0rfbserver's rfblib I found many bugs that I had to fix. I also found out that the implementation of the codecs was quite bad (lower compression rates than possible), so I started the porting codecs from TightVNC's winvnc and replace the original ones as well (yes, I am porting from the Windows version, because it is in C++ and the Unix version in C). So far Hextile and RRE are running, I will probably skip CoRRE and start ZLib tomorrow. Then I only need TightVNC and can release KRfb 0.6, maybe even this week, and maybe I have time for the WebDAV stuff again.