Bulletproofing a wrapper for sfdisk is sneaky stuff.
Pool party tonight. A lot of the local unix types will be there. Maybe I will get to play with some infrared or USB toys. We had an active WaveLAN last time.
I find it distressing that lilo isn't willing to consider himself a master of linux socially. He is just the example I was thinking of in my post to the Meta thread. I don't think poor l'il Journeyer me is going to knock him too far upwards though.
It takes a lot more than code to make a project work. It's possible to get a damn good project rolling with scraps of crummy code and an excellently documented dream that others can join. The real power of our stuff is when complete strangers without your basic assumptions can use it to ends that you would never have tried either, so getting the word out on What's Cool is important too.
So, I'll repeat here the important scrap from my post to Meta, laid out a little better now that I've napped on it. I think there ought to be more than one "track" to rate people in:
- Coding (new features and core functions)
- QA (both bug reporting and fixing)
- Social Action
Stretch that by
- Observer: what is this stuff. Don't expect me to rate anyone. [greyish brown. could stand to be lighter.]
- Newbie: Just getting into it. Have a mentor or maybe I'm seeking one, but I'm just not with it yet. I'm a Master of confused enthusiasm, collecting clues. [green. everyone knows newbies are Greenhorns.]
- Apprentice: really starting to get going here but I'm really lost in surprising facets of it. Guess I need to work on it more :) [cheerful yellow]
- Adept: Able to use comfortably, probably pass some help to others, and deal with it day to day. But I really am not very steeped in it. (The average Power User) [red as in "well read'?]
- Initiate: I contribute to this stuff and make it happen. I'm not deific, not a lot of people are going to remember me or get burned really bad when I blow it, but look for me, I'm in there somewhere making things click. [Blue is good]
- DeepMagician: If you haven't heard of me it's because you are looking at other things that interest you a lot more. If I were hit by a bus my small corner of the world would be looking for a replacement, ASAP. [Purple like a wizards cap]
So whaddaya think?