This morning was a beast. Got paged on my way to the shower... nameserver troubles. About ten minutes into me trying to diagnose / fix them, I got a note from our support center that went to our entire staff, telling us "Administrators have resolved the problem".
Me, I went ballistic. I called them, and raked some poor hourly over the coals for a while. Then I mailed his boss, and said in no uncertain terms "When I get paged about a problem, then I own that problem. When I own a problem, I get to say when it's fixed. It's very far from fixed."
I probably owe them an apology... but this is as close as they're going to get to one.
All morning long I spent trying to figure out why 5 AS5300s have suddenly decided that people dialed into them weren't allowed to do _some_ nameserver queries. This is a difficult problem to reproduce, and I'm running short on patience.
I'm stuck between the modem guys who think it's a DNS problem, and the DNS guys, who are 100% certain it's a modem problem. I live somewhere in the middle... I think it could be either one, I just know it's still a problem. But I'm finding it hard to care, since I don't really own either service (I'm backup DNS-admin).
Perhaps it's good that I'm going to Oshkosh Wi. this weekend.
Things are mostly good to go for tomorrow's big DHCP server move. Yahoo. I have a bit of last minute code to punch out... stuff to take a snapshot of the log file, make some sense out of "who has what, when", and save it periodically. It'll make it easier for me to get security related info to the security office goons when they ask for it.