Ok, so using a property on the root window for notification was a bad idea. I switched it back to file monitoring. It works ok, I guess (found a workaround for the multiple notification thing). I have updated the spec finally, and also committed my current code to libegg. I suppose the next step is to get people to use it so we can see what kind of API problems and bugs they run into.
One thing I would like to add to the recent-files stuff is the ability to have the icon associated with the mime-type of the file appear in menus. What I really want is to be able to get the themed icon that nautilus uses, but that doesn't look to be possible without copy/pasting a large portion of nautilus. Supposedly, Seth has some metadata API to add to gnome-vfs that will include this stuff. So, I guess I will have to wait.
Sadly, no gedit hacking lately. I should do some tonight. I have some bugs to fix in the BonoboObject interfaces.
While I was poking around in libegg, I looked at andersca's fileselector/filesystem stuff. Most of it seemed pretty straight-forward to me. I quickly banged out a gnome-vfs filesystem object and it seemed to work well. The new file selector is going to kick ass.
Oh yeah, I also hacked together a patch to add a "Recent Documents" menu into the panel. Of course, the test apps are the only thing that put stuff in there now, so it is not terribly useful.