Well I spent most of yesterday updating (but not really upgrading because I did a format) platinum (the sucs X server) from a Ximianed RedHat 7.1 to a vanilla RedHat 7.2. The main reasoning behind this as so that I could get some practice at upgrading before I tried it on silver (which is on RedHat 6.2). This was made all the more difficult because I was missing bits of information that were hard won the last time it was upgraded.
The installation mostly consisted of backing up /etc/ to our other server and then putting in the required network boot disks.
Having said that I am especially fond of the way I mounted the isos as directories on our ftp server and then killed off the ftp connection so I could unmount the first cd and mount the second cd in the same place, thus allowing the installation to continue.
The major pitfall surfaced after I had gone back home At around 11pm I received a mail saying that internet access to certain sites was no longer working (and that the upgrade was to blame. Incredibly perceptive users here). After doing a painful remote X session to my computer back at home to confirm the problem, I decided to check the logs and found them full of can't find /lib/modules/2.4.7 errors.
After reading fxn's reply to yesterday's rant about certification, I now realise that I was approaching Advogato (gah I'm still having trouble spelling that) in slightly the wrong direction. More on that at a later date though...
It was about then that I remembered that I hadn't rebooted after installing the newer kernel package. After rebooting and not being able to connect to platinum any more I came to the conclusion that maybe I should have checked grub's configuration before I decided to reboot. It was also about then that I decided that I'd had enough of this and that I would go to bed.