11 Apr 2004 shlomif   » (Master)

Passover Seder

My extended family held a Passover Seder last Monday. It was very nice, and it featured that in the second part of it my cousin Ronen and his wife came to visit. (he and his wife are now staying in Seatlle where he works). He said that his work demands long hours, and he works in a company that does all kinds of things with computer games.

Hike with Dad

My father and I decided to go outdoors at one day of the Passover vacation. We drove all the way to the Apolonia site in Hertzlia, and nearly lost our way there, only to find out it got closed shortly afterwards. So we drove back home and this time really lost our way (there were no signs there), but managed to get back home. We went to the field north of the neighbourhood. There were many blooming flowers there ("Kahvanim" and "Hartzioth" and others which I did not know by name). We also noticed the horses farm that was established there. One time I've been there a horse nearly ran over me, which made me unwilling to return. We also visited the Shomronite graves there. So, it was very nice.

Perl Meeting

We held a Perl meeting at April 1st. I wrote a report of it on the Perl Mongers Wiki.

Registering to Yahoo Messenger

The guy I teach Perl too, only has a Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger accounts for IM. So I had to get an account on one of these. I tried to do so for both, but with no avail. Eventually I succeeded in making Yahoo work. The steps I took were:

1. Vainly trying to configure it in gaim.
2. Reading the Gaim FAQ, and realizing that I need a newer version of Gaim.
3. Downloading the SRPM of the new version of Gaim.
4. Trying to install the depedencies, and discovering that they were moved to a different place.
5. Reconfiguring the Mandrake sources (which made it download the hdlist.cz all over again.)
6. Downloading the dependencies.
7. Compiling the SRPM.
8. Installing the RPM.
9. Successfully loginning in to Yahoo Messenger!.

Now allow me to faint...

RMS-Lint

My RMS-Lint article that I published on 1 April, got slashdotted after I submitted it there. This caused the iglu.org.il server to become unresponsive. At first to every protocol, but after a day or so, only to HTTP. (ssh was fine). After a fellow administrator restarted the web-server, everything worked fine again.

I guess I shouldn't try to slashdot an Israeli resource like that again.

Reading

I finished reading "The qmail Handbook" and wrote a review of it to the Israel.PM Wiki. It seems like I was given the first edition while there's already a second one.

Now I started reading the book "The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicamarel Mind" by Julian Jaynes, a book I have wanted to read for a long time.

I'm now at half of the book, and it's very interesting so far. Mind blowing, even.

iglu.org.il

I was finally able to enable unregistered users to submit news in www.iglu.org.il. This had been a factor that decreased the site's popularity in the past after the switch from the Zope and Squishdot framework which allowed that. Now, there's a minor problem that no topics appear in the topics drop-down, but I haven't figured out how to enable this. Still, it's still functional.

Hacktivity

Not too much. In Subversion, I started tackling an efficient tracing of the past revision URL from a peg URL and revision. I got halted in the middle because I did not know how to design the appropriate protocol over Subversion's variant of WebDAV/DeltaV. After a lot of reading and consultation, I was able to deduce something on my own, but afterwards C. Michael Pilato gave a specification for a different API handler that he'd like to see implemented.

So, now I'm on the rebound waiting for some Subversion officials to what exactly should be done.

Otherwise, I spent some time yesterday, cleaning up my Dmoz.org categories. It was time consuming, but now I have very few pending links there.

Google and the Google Directory

Google seemed to have lowered the profile of the Google directory. For once, it isn't linked to from the front page, or from a search results page. The web-sites that are searched now also don't contain the directory's description or links to the category where it appears in.

It does appear in the More Google options page, but this is relatively out of the way. This is a step backwards because I actually liked the descriptions and the integration with the directory. Besides that, the Directory is still heavily out of date, and was not synchronized with dmoz.org in a long while.

Latest blog entries     Older blog entries

New Advogato Features

New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.

Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.

If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!