23 Dec 2001 shlomif   » (Master)

GNOME

In order to help keep balance in the force I decided to switch to using GNOME for a while after a long time when I used KDE 2.x. Nautilus is not so bad, for selecting mp3s for playback after I turned off the automatic previewing of files. What did cause me some problems were the Netscape fonts.

I tried to set the Fantasy and Cursive fonts (whatever they are) to something nicer than Courier New, but it turns out Netscape 6.2 gives a long list of fonts, with a very slow scrolling mechanism. I tried Galeon instead - it has the Gtk+ font selection dialog (yey!) but crashed after I tried to set the fonts. It's version 0.12.1 so maybe I should upgrade.

End of story: I'm writing this entry on Konqueror running on top of a GNOME desktop as I speak. Konqi usually brings up half of KDE with it, so thanks God I have 320 MB of RAM.

Aside from that, GMC and Nautilus put together seem to clatter my desktop with icons, but since I don't use the desktop icons much, it's not a major concern.

IP-Noise Project

I discovered that there is a readers/writers lock mechanism that can be used inside the Linux kernel. Check:

http://www.lisoleg.net/doc/Kernel-Hacking-HOWTO/kernel-hacking-HOWTO-5.html

This is good news because so far we defaulted on a mutex, which could have been inefficient in an SMP machine.

Otherwise, I made some minor improvements to the code and documentation - mostly adding comments and the such. I think Roy and I should hand the document to Lavy as it is, so he can review it and hopefully we will get the final report over with. Or the worst case is that we will have to write a very detailed (and IMO useless) architecture document.

The EE-Lab 2 Experiments

In "Electrical Engineering Lab 2", Technion students need to choose 3 experiments from a list of about 20, perform them (with the help of an instructor), and hand reports on them. Usually there are two meetings so sometimes we have a preliminary report for the first meeting, a summary report for the first meeting, a preparation report for the second meeting, and a final report that should be handed after the second meeting. %-)

Two of Eran's and mine experiments: Image Compression and Wavelets went very well. (in the second Wavelets meeting, the instructor was not present, but Eran and I managed to finish the experiment after just two hours anyway.) The "Real Time Digital Signal Processing" one however was not the case. Eran and I set a Technion precendent by leaving the first meeting in the middle and declaring that we wish to give up on the experiment. It turned out to be impossible, so we were scheduled a different meeting.

The second meeting took place last Wednesday and the second take of the first one a week earlier. We finished what we had to do (with a lot of help from the instructor) , but otherwise it did not went too well. Eran wants to get the final report over with ASAP, so he forced me to get to the Technion early today (from Tel Aviv) and work on it in the morning. Good thing that I wook up at 5:15 AM today.

Eran said, that if anyone proposed to give him 55 in that experiment, he would take it. (and I second that) He also said that he also does not mind giving up the experiment and even this entire take of "Lab 2". I said that we should at least give our best shot at "Real-Time DSP" before we give up.

Latest blog entries     Older blog entries

New Advogato Features

New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.

Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.

If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!