The day before yesterday I wrestled with two Subversion problems. The first one was that whenever I tried to check a file out of an https:// mounted directory, I got a strange OpenSSL-error report. An old version of Subversion worked perfectly fine. It turned out to be a problem that the WebDAV library was not compiled against the most recent version of OpenSSL. A re-compilation of the WebDAV library solved the problem.
The problem I encountered afterwards was that Subversion kept rejecting my repository's certificate. In order to solve it I had to add a pointer to the server's .pem file to the Subversion configuration file. I mistakengly used the wrong configuration file, but eventaully Ben Collins-Sussman corrected me on the IRC. Then I discovered my certificate got expired, so I created a new one that will be good for the next 30 years, and re-tried.
This whole business took a few good hours, but now everything is working and I'm happy.
The IGLU Server
What kept me busy yesterday was an entirely different problem. It turned out that the Israeli Group of Linux Users's web-server version of Squishdot had a cross-server scripting problem. Upgrading it requires a lot of manual steps, and we got sick of Zope anyhow. So I had to install a new content management system. I first tried phpBB, but could not get it to look more or less like the original Slashdot-like way. So I switched to PostNuke, and managed to configure most of it yesterday and today.
I finished the last "Intro to Software Systems" exercise today (yay!). I'm enjoying the vacation before the next test.
I kept thinking my bike had a flat wheel. Yesterday, I went to take them to the bike fixer and it turned out there was still a lot of air in the wheels. So, I tried to fill the rest of it. However, in the front wheel, the filling caused all the air to come out. Aaarrggh!
Failed Linux Install
The one who contacted me about Knoppix, called again, and he gave me a life to his apartment. I brought my Knoppix CD and the Mandrake CDs with me. It turned out his computer was constructed out of "components he found in the garbage". Thus, we could not get either Knoppix or the Mandrake installation CD to load, no matter what we tried.
I invited him home to see my Linux system in action. When he left he was quite impressed from it. I'm still disappointed that we could not get Linux to install there.