I've started working on annotateit! again after several months of hiatus. I've moved the project administration to berlios because it has subversion repositories instead of CVS.
I'm keen on exercising the subversion project so that the kernel developers will start to move to that system rather than the proprietary one they are working on now. Besides, subversion has a bunch of different language bindings that, once I get into it, I may want to release some software for myself.
I'm starting work on moving annotateit to mod_perl based environment. It is slow going. One file at a time, with all the different permutations means slow and steady. I had alot of problems with "this variable will not stay shared" initially. Mostly that is going away. I'm finding as I go through the system, a lot of minor issues that I wasn't aware of or that I had glossed over. This is because
- I'm not particularly careful, I've been more interested in getting the features in than getting the features right.
- I've not automated testing of anything, basically, and as a result, nothing is tested. Starting a system of testing at this point is going to be extremely painful. I really don't want to do it, but I know that it would greatly enhance the reliability of the system.
Thanks to subversion, I've decided on a release scheme. Apparently, each reversion of a repository committed increments the global revision number. This gives me an easy way to set revisions. I've bumped the minor rev to 0.5, and each release I make until 0.6 will be the subversion release number. When I'm ready to bump to .6, I'll branch, and my .