As part of my new job with xinitsystems.com as "Junior web developer" i got sent a new box. With a nice 1ghz processor, 256 ram, 20gb HD (ooh all those mp3s ;) ).
But the graphics card is a noname unbranded Riva TNT 2 from nVidia. This is where the problems start. First i tried the new nvidia accellerated drivers as i'm prone to the odd spout of UT or Q3A. Ssh, dont tell my boss!
But to no avail, i just could not get the drivers to work. I read and reread all the documentation i could find. Oh well, i thought i'd try the opensource nv driver in 4.0.2.
Nope, they decided not to work, everything looked fine until the driver was expect to refresh the screen when funny horrizontal and vertical lines would appear. The mouse also became trapped (pun!!) in the top corner of the screen when changing from X --> VT --> X.
Oh well, my boss said he would sent me a Creative card so hopefully i should have more success with that. Fingers &,
Wierdly a while back i had some problems with not being able to render SGML to HTML, this kinda brought my work for the GDP (GNOME Documentation Project) to a standstill. I think there was soem problem with the packages installed on my box, because now after a 4 hour apt-get upgrade i can render my SGML into beautiful html.
Just doing bits and pieces as i work as 'Commit manager' for the OPN hybrid-dancer work.