First patch for Apache Geronimo! Along with Linux, I want to get involved in Java projects too and Geronimo is my choice at this moment. After checking out the code from the Subversion repository, I struggled to make it compile. And it actually took a very long time on my Athlon 2400 to compile it.
However, I did not have success, given a bunch of compilation errors due to a wrong dependence in Apache Maven files. Understanding Maven, since it was my first deeper contact with it, was not trivial as I expected, but I managed to understand it after reading some documentation and a number of grep in the code.
I fixed the Maven files and submitted the bug and the patch to Geronimo JIRA site (check here the link). A very simple patch, but it is the first one (and I hope they accept it)! Now I hope I am able to keep working on improving this application server.