6 Apr 2003 raph   » (Master)

The DRM struggle

The recent Xbox hack provides further evidence for a widely held belief in hacker circles: real DRM is technologically impossible, at least without huge improvements in the ability to produce bug-free software. Zooko writes passionately that the bad guys may well be winning anyway.

Indeed, the important distinction here is whether freely accessing digital content is convenient or merely possible. If a DRM scheme makes access inconvenient for most people, then it has largely succeeded in its economic goals.

Technologists, and free software hackers in particular, should be careful not to underestimate the importance of convenience. Over the next few years, I think that one of the most compelling applications for free software is a media player that just works, especially without stumbling over harebrained DRM schemes. The underlying technology is mostly here now, including the ability to efficiently move bulk files around over consumer Internet connections. But unless it's easy enough for your mom to use, it won't have much impact.

Essence of XML

I got my POPL proceedings a few days ago, and found Jerome Simeon and Phil Wadler's The Essence of XML to be one of the most interesting papers. He writes:

So, the essence of XML is this: the problem it solves is not hard, and it does not solve the problem well.

In particular, the paper is about type systems for XML, which include DTD's (widely recognized as underpowered), XML Schema, and other proposals. The paper goes into XML Schema in some detail. A central observation is that, while XML Schema obviously intended to provide for unambiguous schemas, it failed to acheive this goal.

The W3C produces mediocre standards. Not so bad as to be unworkable, but certainly not crisp and beautiful either. In many ways, this is better than anarchy, because at least they are standards, and there is a ton of code out there to deal with them. Lisp S-expressions may be prettier, but there are still plenty of details you have to nail down for compatibility, including choice of charset, dealing with string quoting, and so on.

mod_virgule

By popular demand, I've started hacking up RSS export for diaries. It's a little harder than I thought it would be. There are two bits to get past to make it validate, then perhaps some impedance mismatch. One of the bits is conversion from ISO-8601 dates (which is what mod_virgule uses internally) to RFC 822. Another is conversion of relative URL's within diary entries to absolute. Both of these are SMOP's.

The impedance mismatch is that Advogato diary entries don't have a designated title field, and the "description" can be very long. Many people (myself included) follow the convention of titles in <b> tags, but it seems dangerous to rely on this for structural information.

Probably the thing to do is just export the full entry as the RSS <description> for now, and gradually move to the option of more structural markup. I've been wanting to do something similar to provide summaries of mid-rated diaries in the recentlog anyway.

Thanks to dyork's reminder, I've updated the Wiki intermap. Also, I see that Gary did some code towards displaying multiple entries from a single poster in the recentlog. Hopefully, we'll be able to get at least the minimal amount of maintenance done soon.

Latest blog entries     Older blog entries

New Advogato Features

New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.

Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.

If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!