Well, at long long last I can finally get globally register allocated output that runs. Very exciting.
Needs speeding up though. Seems like I just got through hacking the local allocator into producing output in an acceptable amount of time. Also may not be entirely bug-free. sigh
6.170 has been a distraction, but it hasn't been too too bad. I've been careful not to get as sucked in this term as I did last term. Spending more time writing high-level documents to be disseminated amongst all of the students, as opposed to helping individuals like last term (though I have seen a fair share of that this term as well). Takes a long time to write up something like that and get it right, but seems to be worth it in the end; really gives me a firm grip on understanding things.
Went to mall yesterday, bought an alarm clock, and a watch. Spent some time in Borders reading a book on "Generative Programming." Thought that it was going to be cool, but ended up being disappointing; either told me things I already knew or dealt with analysis and terminology. Maybe will be better after I read "Analysis Patterns"... don't think so though.
Also seemed in many ways just geared to promote the notation that the author pushes in the book itself; I've seen plenty of that, sure. But no reason to spend the time right now emersing myself in a totally different modelling notation, especially one that doesn't seem to be a significant win over Alloy. Have to wait and see.