Spent Saturday fighting with my Sparc/IPX to try and install
RedHat 6.2 on it. It already had 5.2 on another disc but
since that disc was getting iffy I wanted a clean install.
Unfortunatly Disk Druid managed to create a partition with
duff entries which seemed to indicate that it was around
1000 times larger than it really was. It took me some hours
to discover this, and thus explain why mke2fs was taking
many hours and consuming about 180M of RAM.
I selected 'server install' - and then spent a while
fighting with RPM to get all the GNOME stuff in afterwards.
Hmm GNOME is not that responsive on an IPX with 32MB of RAM.
I left it building XFree 4 over night; 14 hours later and it
had built and I managed to get it not to start; ho hum -
another X bug reported.
The interesting revelation of the day was bought to me by
Owen Taylor. I had found that large selections just didn't
work for me on Gnome on my Alpha - this turned out to be a
brokedness in Gtk which was hitting a rather nasty 64 bit
brokedness in X. Yuch!