In the I-really-shouldn't-but-I'm-going-to-anyways department, I set up advodiary and emacs to work on my Windows box. The process involved the following for me:
I didn't particularly think I had it in me, but it ended up working great. Advodiary is quite cool, though I must admit it's a pity the emacs-mode I saw only works with emacs 20.7. 21 is just so much nicer on Windows. Yaay for sleep-deprived hacking.
- Setting two environment variables ($HOME and $EDITOR)
- Installing the new version of ActiveState Python(because I couldn't figure out how to make my Cygwin install correctly spawn a shell before running scripts when double-clicked)
- Stripping down my .emacs file to the absolute bare-bones stuff I need(CUA-mode, HTML-helper-mode, bindings for home/end/, parenmatch stuff)
- Setting emacs to not use an init file and instead load this new barebones .emacs with the -l commandline option when invoked as EDITOR
- Defining a function which will insert the skeleton of my diary into the buffer when called
Edit: Not only did I do that, but I was on such a roll I decided to set up Ispell as well. So now I can spell-check my entries before I submit them. Thanks to cmiller for such a cool toy. Whee!