Yesterday I noticed when I rebooted into my newly-compiled kernel 2.6, that my memory count only went up to 384 megs. I was a bit surprised -- I thought I had 512. "Well," I thought, "I guess I should buy a bit more."
Today my system crashed. I rebooted... and it crashed again. I began to read error messages... but there were too many to know where to begin. Next reboot, my memory count was 512 megs... so obviously, my memory was defective. Problem solved, right?
Wrong. On that same boot, grub wouldn't even start! It turns out my /dev/hda1 (/) was quite damaged. So... e2fsck.
Well. I remember something about a root inode being damaged. It wanted me to clear it. There was nothing else left to try, so I went ahead. It started asking more and more questions -- too many -- so I started over with e2fsck -y /dev/hda1. Yeeeee-haw. My computer must've spent about 2 hours going through every single inode on the disk... thrice.
I ended up with the most enormous lost+found/ directory I've ever seen. The rest of my root partition was gone.
So here I am 5 hours later, in my newly-installed Debian system. I'm hoping most things work, because I really need to have all this stuff ready in time for school. What a pain in the neck.