Accomplishments are easy to determine from a technical sense. Sometimes they are just reaching a milestone that you set out to reach with your project. Sometimes in a fit of caffeine and nicotine, you reach a technical accomplishment with a little thought and and a little work. This is what I did with the very first install file that I wrote for PostNuke. After about a day I had something workable (although very ugly to look at) and it set PostNuke up to move forward.
Organizational accomplishments though are harder to realize. Sometimes with the snowball reaching critical mass it becomes very hard to steer it, and impossible to change the direction. I feel that yesterday however, there were organizational accomplishments that allows us to have the flexibility to move forward. As cryptic as it sounds here rereading what I just wrote, I think that the organization that a GPL project rides on is just as paramount as the technical innovations that drive the code.
Released the first tarball from the CVS. With the changes in the architecture there were several problems with the code. I have received several emails today chronically those problems. I really hope people read and understand that the tarballs are by no means ready for a production site. I needed to release it to start showing the changes in the dot 8 architecture, but I do worry about the perceptions that it might allow.
8's not a stable codebase, while 7 was, and I hope that some folks realize the difference between the two.
Finally I got to work on some code yesterday! Its been a couple of weeks since I last got to open up my editor and enjoy what got me started in the first place. Several problems that I noted were with the modules init and the change in function names that we recently instituted for better readability and function flow.
I'm still a little concerned at the config being in an XML format. Seems like there are some security risks there. I need to think about it a little before we move on with the config being formatted as such.