1. I am generally of the opinion that any solution to a problem in personal transportation would be better if it employed a catapult, somewhere. The Crosstown Express sequence in the movie Robots gave me a warm feeling.
2. While in high school I read back issues of Communications of the ACM at the University of Hawaii library. That is where I first encountered Unix, in Thompson & Ritchie's 1973 paper, probably in '77 or '78. I was fascinated, but didn't get to see a real shell prompt until 1982. (I first compiled a program on Windows last week. :-P)
3. I met my wife for the first time on my second day in Jakarta. She was living in Bali, and was on her way through to Singapore to renew her visa. I got her address, she left the next day, and I dropped in when I got to Bali six weeks later.
4. I find mild electric shocks more invigorating than painful. This fact led ultimately to my obtaining a degree in Electrical Engineering.
5. I would like to see capital punishment applied only to public officials and officers of public corporations convicted of abusing the public trust. (Bumper sticker: "See Dick Fry!")