Wed Aug 16 10:24:44 EST 2000 0900-1130 1330-1900
- Took the router back to the shop. Shop called Netgear.
Netgear said take it to the distributor. We took it to
the distributor who wasn't happy because "you're a
After I jumped up and down, they said they'd have a new
for us by the end of the day. Bizarre love triangle!
- Greg bought a whiteboard.
- We did some planning, writing down the things we need
We want to run XFree86 4.0.1 using a framebuffer and
the embedded device work done by Century Software. We
do that on PCs before we get hardware.
- This requires upgrading a PC to Linux 2.4. But we
want to risk our development machine (which is also our
So I will set up another small machine (AMD K5/160) to
the gateway. Got the pieces together from my junk bin
- Went to the shop and picked up the new router. Also,
the shop for quotes on PCs and other equipment.
- Greg played with the router - this one works! :-)
- I put the hardware of the new gateway together, and got
boot the RedHat installation CD.
- Greg continued work on strace.
Thu Aug 17 10:24:44 EST 2000 1030-1200 1415-1900
- Greg kept hacking strace. He finally got it to link,
he tried it out. It didn't work first time which is
surprising. It's horrid code doing bad bad things.
- Started installing RedHat packages on the gateway.
X, it's possible to make the whole thing take less than
of disk (glibc is about 30Mb of that).
- Customised the gateway - removed unneeded software,
- Spent far too long futzing about with the network card
PnP modem - they worked just fine in the other machine.
- Went to lunch with our friends from our old work.
- Greg bought a nice sturdy chair. He's come far too
to breaking all of mine...
- Started configuring the gateway machine to be the
server/ICQ proxy. We will still use it for this even
we have the cable modem, in case of downtime on the
- One of our other machines suddenly died. Much futzing
I found the cache SIMM had come loose.
- Moved our work disk from the gateway machine to another
- Installed a different (external) graphics card to
internal crappy 2mb one. Finally, a useable resolution
- After setting up the DNS proxy and dialing server on
I finally got my first dialout at 5am. Ouch.
Fri Aug 18 13:19:44 EST 2000 1300-1420 1510-1730
- On the home straight with the dialout machine. Final
- Greg found vfprintf bug which was killing strace.
- gnb found bug in entry.S which prevented strace from
Sun Aug 20 13:19:44 EST 2000 1130-1200 2045-0115:
- Went to swap meet. Bought Red Hat source CD, and 2
- Moved all the equipment to another room, so that the
in our office was one PC, for the cable modem
Mon Aug 21 13:19:44 EST 2000 0900-1800 2130-0100:
- Installed Windows 98 on the PC, so as not to freak out
- The cable installation was supposed to take 2-3
hours, but took nearly 6. Everything that could go
go wrong. Part of that time was blocking up a hole
out to be useless, and reconstructing a brick that the
shattered. Also, it took a long long time to configure
to work with the cable modem.
Tue Aug 22 13:19:44 EST 2000 0930-1320 1340-1840
- Carried all our stuff back into the office and set it
- Worked on getting the networking going. Tried for a
to get the router to work with a Linux box.
- Found out from our friend what we needed to do to get
it to work
with Linux (the DHCP request needs to know the official
of the machine).
- Futzed and tinkered with the router trying to get
things to work.
Found some bugs in it, plus manual mismatches, and
the latest firmware. Seems a little better, but not
- Late at night, outgoing connection failed. The router
be pinged. After much head-scratching, I found that
client on the WAN side was giving itself a private
address - impossible! Also, it seemed to give this IP
after a couple of seconds. Left it unconnected, as I
it flooding the net with DHCP requests and getting us
Rebooting the router did not help.
- Installed ssh on felix.
Wed Aug 23 13:19:44 EST 2000 1100-1420 1540-1900
- Retried the router. The DHCP address now looks normal,
lease counters are far higher than I would think
normal. I think
the router software has DHCP bugs.
- gnb wrote fork() test for strace.
- gnb sent strace patch to SuperH mailing list, and to
- gnb and I set up cvs log to linuxsh-cvs mailing list
- gnb figured out glibc problems - MUST compile with
- Downloaded PeeWeeLinux, a Linux dist targetted at
- Since we're now outside Alphalink, we can no longer
send or get
mail through there. Reconfigured our mail programs to
mail from our cableco.
- Set up a .forward file on Alphalink to redirect my mail
- Downloaded and installed StarOffice 5.2.
- Tried to read Greg's timesheet spreadsheets with
Thu Aug 24 13:19:44 EST 2000 1120-1300 1400-1830 :
- Set up some NFS shares of our MP3 collection, our
area, and our home directories, so they can be accessed
all our machines. This should really be done with the
NIS and autofs. Greg will do that.
- Reinstalled sshd on catflap.
- Worked out why ssh was not authenticating me on other
- Explored why only some of my mail is being forwarded to
- Untarred PeeWeeLinux and started having a look at it.
- Worked on spreadsheet for timesheets.
Fri Aug 25 13:19:44 EST 2000 1245-1515 1645-1730:
- Timesheet stuff.
- Looked at PeeWeeLinux. A twisted maze of shell
website is so promising, but it feels quite clunky to
- Went to OfficeWorks and bought stuff.