nekkid chocolate pics (just for richlowe).
I love free software. The people at work finally convinced me that I should have some instant messaging client setup (primarily by never answering their phones). I tried TiK but it was just too, "tk-ish" for me to be able to stand. I looked at gaim and it was OK...except all the stupid braindead buttons all over the "conversation" window. It seems that just because AOL makes their client unbearably ugly, everyone who writes an IM client has to do the same. So I checked the src deb out, poked around in conversation.c, and soon had a client that just shows a textbox at the top for conversation and a single textbox for input at the bottom. No buttons, no ugly border, just simple goodness :) Of course, without the source I would have been screwed--> no wonder 99% of the windows software in the world sucks.
finished the new webpage this weekend.
The whole site is created by running a script (cunningly
named "makepage.pl") that goes through and makes the page
from a couple of templates and a bunch of content files. It
creates thumbnails from the screenshots and pix directories,
creates indexes, blah blah blah. Of course, the resulting
hard to read in a few places (i need to make the colors
contrast more) and clean up the html output more. and make
an admin interface so i can add news items and screenshots
without ssh'ing to the webserver and editing files...
I decided to rewrite my webpage, and this time to create scripts that will create all the html from a template file and some .content files. The basics work great. However, now I'm considering how to handle "special case" pages, like my screenshots page nad my random pictures page. On those pages I want to take a dir of images with one file that contains captions and automagically create an index page containing thumbnails that link to pages with the actual pictures (or the image files themselves, in the screenshot page). Right now, my main script looks for all the .content files in the main dir and creates .html files from those. I also have a couple of scripts that will create the "special" pages on their own. I'm trying to see if I can come up with a way of having one script do it all for me, and whether that will just be nasty (do i have a .pages file that tells my script which pages are "special"....
I know that there are 10,000 packages out there that will do exactly what I'm doing now for me much more elegantly and better than anything I can write, but writing this crap is helping me with the depression I've been struggling with for the last several days. sigh
I of course realized that i was being an idiot. All I have to do is create the custom .content files seperately, and then my script can create the html from those. So the main body of my script looks like:
inside the make_pixcontent and make_sscontent subs I create
a .content page that, when parsed, creates an index page of
all the images thumbnailed, and then a bunch of .content
files that parse to have the full sized image on the page.
New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.
Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.
If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!