Good morning, world. Yesterday I threatened to cannibalize all my systems, and I spent last evening doing it. Now I'm on an actually fairly snappy P166 with 80MB and running my hard drive in DMA mode. Life is good (or as good as it can get without a new computer budget) :-) Of course, running OpenBSD instead of a bloated Windows install or an even more bloated Red Hat install helps immensely.
Strangest thing happened during the hardware switchover, though. I booted megaweapon with a P100 (swapped the processor with the newly-christened gamera), came up to my production OpenBSD install, and the modem wasn't working. My modem's a Zoom internal hard-jumpered to the serial port I use. It was discovered OK by the kernel, but seemed to be ignoring ppp's commands. So I powered it down, reseated the thing, and then the computer wouldn't boot. Hmm. Powered it down again, went to reseat it again, and got a mild (~24V) shock. About this time I started to break down and cry, and my wife tried to pacify me by saying she'd let me buy a new modem. :-) Well, I pulled the modem out, and booted fine, then put it back in, and it miraculously started working again. Probably overheard us talking about replacing it, and didn't want to sleep in a box next to my Gravis UltraSound. I don't know why, the UltraSound was the coolest sound card in existence, before support for it all but dried up.
What else have I accomplished? Not much, though now I feel like I have the infrastructure to do more. I'm pulling OpenBSD current sources from one of the anoncvs servers (last night's pull got aborted in the middle of the night, sigh) and am hoping to start it a-building before I go with my wife to visit her family for the weekend. Migrated a bunch of files off megaweapon to gamera. Still more to go there.
EPILOGUE: When editing diaries, extra <p> tags get inserted. Hmm. We should use WikiWikiMarkupLanguage; then I don't have to bother with entities either. :-) Anyway, I'm at the in-laws now, with an ssh session open in the other window (over there <==) and compiling a few ports while I wait for the source tree to finish being CVS'd on down. One thing I miss about FreeBSD was using CVSup to pull down sources -- it was much faster than anoncvs. We do have CVSup servers, but last time I tried to use them I ran into some trouble... I believe it had something to do with being written in Modula-3 and OpenBSD not having a Modula-3 system, so we had to run the binary in emulation. Don't recall exactly. Maybe, in the interests of speeding everything up a bit, I'll try again. Someday.