4 May 2004 lupus
Mono PPC JIT hacking
Yesterday was a sort of turning point: the mono JIT for PowerPC is ready for wider testing on both Linux and MacOSX.
While there are still at least a few bugs, people are unlikely to run into them (but, of course, I expect the wider testing bit to turn on more obscure bug reports).
We can also run quite a few Gtk# programs (well, GtkDemo, the other samples and the monodoc browser: I'm sure some brave people will build and try MonoDevelop and report results). Especially important was testing the Fifteen Gnome canvas game, which I did throughly (I just needed to remember to run ssh -C, since I tried it from Miguel's G5 on the other side of the Atlantic, in Boston).
It has been a turning point because only one of the bugs which I considered release-critical was a JIT bug. The other issues were a bug in Gtk# which corrupted memory on x86, too and some endianess issues in PEAPI.
Now, it's time for fixing the more obscure bugs and then move on to do a bit of optimizations.