I've had a bit of a cold this weekend, which provided ample opportunity to do some coding (as I didn't feel too guilty about not practising or going out).
On the PADL front, I've added support for template users to pam_ldap. I'm not sure whether this works yet, though :-) Template users are a (as far as I know) FreeBSD practice where the PAM host application refetches the username from PAM after calling pam_authenticate(). This lets the module change the username under the application's nose, which is ideal for ISP applications; for example, a user might logon as firstname.lastname@example.org, and be mapped to the template user nobody. pam_ldap will either map users to a default template user, or read the template user from an attribute in the user's entry. (Both of these are configurable.) You might stack pam_ldap and pam_ntdom, setting pam_login_attribute in /etc/ldap.conf to userPrincipalName, and pam_template_login_attribute to sAMAccountName; then, you could login as email@example.com; pam_ldap will search for (userPrincipalNamefirstname.lastname@example.org), and then set the username to the value of the sAMAccountName attribute in the resulting entry (eg. lukeh). pam_ntdom would then retrieve the username from PAM, and do an NT domain authentication against "lukeh". Finally, login would retrieve the username from PAM, and call getpwnam("lukeh"). YMMV, this code is experimental! Code, as usual, is at ftp.padl.com.
On the Darwin front, I've done a little bit more work on the PAM port, not much though, I'm waiting on getting MacOS X up and running first. A bit hard without any PPC hardware to speak of; still, Rhapsody DR2 is quite a nice Intel Unix! Also looked at adding support for reentrant name resolution APIs to Darwin, for the moment just those in the Single UNIX Specification (getpwnam_r(), getpwuid_r(), getgrnam_r(), getgrgid_r()). There seem to be some issues with lookupd in getting this working (not architectural issues, it just doesn't work!). You can check these out in the lukeh-SingleUNIXSpecificationV2 branch of Libraries/NeXT/libinfo. You will need a login to access this.
The final, and perhaps more interesting project, has been a NetInfo backend for OpenLDAP. The backend uses Marc Majka's dsstore API, rather than the NetInfo client library. dsstore is a hierarchical database library with an information that's sort of a cross between NetInfo and LDAP. You get the good things about NetInfo: for example, entries' distinguished names are dynamically constructed, rather than being stored with entry; and the good things about LDAP, such as complex queries. The library will either talk directly to the database on disk (and indeed is used as the backend by the MacOS X NetInfo daemon) or to a remote NetInfo database. Anyway, the OpenLDAP backend, back-netinfo, uses this API. It's quite a thin layer: most of the code is spent mapping between slapd data structures, such as filters, and their analogues in dsstore. The trickier code has to do with mapping information models, which could do with some work. For the moment, dsstore meta-attributes are mapped to LDAP attributes with the ;x-meta tag, except for objectClass, which is mapped to the LDAP objectClass attribute. objectClass is also special-cased so that it always contains extensibleObject and top, and so that filters such as (objectClass=*) will succeed even though the NetInfo entry does not contain these attributes. I expect this code will be able to go away once dsstore can deal with schema itself, and slapd lets backends handle their own schema. Attributes which slapd doesn't know about (ie. haven't been defined in a schema anywhere) appear as operational attributes, and are thus not user-modifiable. To make this useful with existing NetInfo deployments, we need to map between well known NetInfo and X.500 attribute types.
Here is an example of searching for a user in NetInfo, and then in LDAP:
% niutil -read . /users/lukeh name: lukeh uid: 1002 passwd: * realname: Luke Howard gid: 1000 home: /home/lukeh shell: /bin/tcsh sn: Howard modifiersName: NAME=ROOT,OU=PEOPLE modifyTimestamp: 20000702234549Z _writers_passwd: lukeh _writers_change: lukeh % ldapsearch -LLL -b "ou=People" name=lukeh '*' '+' dn: name=lukeh,ou=People name: lukeh uid: 1002 passwd: * realname: Luke Howard gid: 1000 home: /home/lukeh shell: /bin/tcsh sn: Howard modifiersName: NAME=ROOT,OU=PEOPLE modifyTimestamp: 20000702234549Z writers_passwd;x-meta: lukeh writers_change;x-meta: lukeh objectClass: top objectClass: extensibleObject subschemaSubentry: cn=Subschema