The feature list for Blister has been growing and growing. I'm starting to have second thoughts on trying to integrate it all, and have several smaller programs instead. So far the major divisions are:
- seed tracking (source, info, germination rates, number planted, etc.)
- garden organization (what goes where, beneficials, cross-pollenation, etc.)
- crop rotation and fertilization
- comprehensive labelling (mostly for seed starting)
I'm sure if I asked Ellen, she would add another two or three points to the list.
I've decided on an XML back-end to the whole mess, simply for ease of parsing, and because it can be edited by hand. If I'm careful with the DTD creation, I can have a tagset that will compress well.
I have to hack together a XML tutorial for Ellen tomorrow while she's at work. She's a WordPerfect 5.1 veteran so the idea of tags is not entirely foreign to her. She's also a real trooper, learning Mac OS X and basic Unix -- she decided it was time to organize her system tonight, and she mastered the columns mode of the Finder in no time.
I also managed to burn my mousing hand preparing dinner this evening. The pain is keeping me awake, but not alert, so it's quite frustrating. Well, off to bed I go in hopes of sleep...