Older blog entries for kvance (starting at number 2)

I've been running a few programs on my windows box to bone up on my test-taking skills for the ACT and SAT, Inside the SAT and Inside the ACT, 1999 edition. I took the ACT last week, but the program I used to take some trial runs never scored the test right. This left me crestfallen the first time, but I got used to it. Since the SAT is this Saturday, I've been running Inside the SAT and it also breaks as it tries to score the test.

"That's funny," I think to myself, "because it worked last year." Eventually, a thought occurs to me. I execute MS-DOS edit and start browsing through the test result data files and make a couple of changes. When executing the program again, a full report of my SAT is generated! What happened? A giant, gaping y2k bug! I kid you not! :) It stored the date as 4/4/00, and for some reason tried to divide by the year, causing a divide by zero error. And here I was thinking that since nothing had gone wrong for 4 months, my machine was y2k compliant :)

So yeah, I was just reviewing my emails as root on pc486. I have a nice little script set up to update tekktonik.ods.org (and thus www.tekktonik.net) if the IP changes. Ever since Frontline (who bought out uscom, *sigh*) enstated their "disconnect all you freeloading bastards every 10 hours" policy, I get an output from this script about 3 times a day. Today, I had ungodly numbers of them. Apparently, the connection nazis are at it again! It seems like after a couple minutes of inactivity, they also disconnect you. At least they had the decency to email me about the 10 hour thing, so I knew in advance to give up on manually updating tekktonik.net's IP... *sigh*

I wish, I wish my ISP didn't blow. And that I had DSL.

I've been looking for something to do a net.diary on, and this looks great (except for the impending lawsuit.. heh). I tried running scoop on pc486, but it obviously wasn't meant to run on a machine so slow... after all that time getting mysql compiled on OpenBSD, too :P

New Advogato Features

New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.

Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.

If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!