9 Dec 2012 joolean   » (Journeyer)

r6rs-protobuf

I've started working on a project that depends on some of the code generation features of r6rs-protobuf (by way of a build-aux helper script) and I realized it's been handling library generation all wrong, at least for multi-.proto builds. The source of the trouble was my decision to map a Protocol Buffers package directly to an R6RS library. That's a fine choice if you can be sure that you know about all declarations of that package, but in a lot of cases, you don't -- for example, when you're applying the compiler to each .proto file in a list. Each file might re-declare that package for its own set of definitions, and since R6RS libraries are effectively immutable -- unlike Java packages or C++ namespaces -- you'll wind up generating a bunch of mutually conflicting libraries that share the same name.

So I've made a new release that changes that behavior. Going forward, the library generator will create a library per top-level definition in each package and name that library accordingly. There'll be a lot more libraries generated, but they'll actually be usable. Get it here.

Latest blog entries     Older blog entries

New Advogato Features

New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.

Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.

If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!