That was a quick four months! I've mostly had my head down developing this thing. I spent several weeks cranking out documentation, and then close to a month just working on the example game I wanted to ship with it, both on code clarity and on restructuring art assets. It's the first time I've ever shipped really comprehensive example code, and I'm very proud of the result, even if it has a decidedly retro flavor
...Because I now have an 0.1 release that you can go download
! It's actually very cool and hopefully easy to get started with (I also spent a week just futzing with Autotools scripts.)
As I pointed out on the GNU Guile
mailing list, this was a project I started right after graduating from college, and it's what got me into Guile development in the first place: I had a much worse design in mind for how I was going to handle computing resource management back in 2003 (thread cancellation), which Guile didn't support at the time, so I committed to adding it. I've since learned almost ten years' worth of lessons about software architecture, and so this system doesn't capitalize on many features I was sure I needed way back when and thus set out to build from scratch -- dynamic user interface mark-up
, e.g. -- but every detour was worth it. I think.
Now, if I could just remember what I was planning to do with a game development framework back in 2003...