Oh, man -- I think I might be the first Guiler on Advogato to announce this: Guile 1.9.0 is out! The 1.9.x series is unstable releases leading up to an eventual 2.0 later this year, and it's packed with enhancements and features that bear evaluation, especially if you've missed them in previous versions of Guile:
- Guile now sports an actual virtual machine, meaning,
among other things:
- Scheme source can be compiled to bytecode for (much) faster loading and evaluation
- Guile can finally compile and run code in languages other than Scheme! Initial support for ECMAScript 3.1 is included.
- Robust multithreading via SRFI-18
- Syntax-case macros are supported out of the box and maintain hygiene across module boundaries
- Guile is now unicode-aware and has i18n support
- Initial support for R6RS's I/O APIs
Grab the tarball here.