Older blog entries for jnewbigin (starting at number 3)

17 May 2002 (updated 5 Jun 2002 at 09:59 UTC) »

I am finally back on the air. Some quick thinking network admins though they would firewall the staff subnet to prevent incoming connections. They neglected the fact that there were still a few servers on that subnet. Of course I did not notice there was a problem until someone phoned me and asked why their mail was not getting through. Anyway, I am now set up on the server subnet and should be live again.

I have spent the last few days playing with RedHat Linux 7.3. It comes with a recent kernel which accepts my patches without any modifications. All my RPMs seem to work too which is good.

Now all I have to do it sort out the rest of my problems with the bank...

I had a late night last night. I built an RPM for my smbpwman code but after I have published it I realiased that I still had hard coded server names and port numbers. I quickly invented a config file and implemented a simple config reader which should keep people happy at this stage. I'll polish it later.

After finishing smbpwman I figured I should get the smbmount RPM going. Despite all my looking I could not find any docs on "rpm -ta" but in the end I got it to do what I wanted. My samba patches seemed to work and after a few small build issues I had a working RPM. (Lucky I had mercury to do the builds for me. mercury can do a kernel diff in < 1 sec :).

Now that the client side setup is complete, I just have to wait and see if my samba patch gets into 2.2.4 so people can start using the unix extensions.

Today I was tasked with installing a web log analysis for a client so I did a test install on uranus. AWstats does a pretty good job. I was quite impresses with my stats too, even more so when I realised it was only 3 days worth not 30:).

After spending a few hours searching around on some old backups I found the source to my php module which does smb authentication.

I cleaned it up and built it into a RH72 compatible rpm. Now all the pesky students can log in and check their entries in the apache error log and fix their cgi assignments.

While I was at it, I set up a local php mirror so I can have instant access to the pretty PHP manual. I guess I'll let the students look at it too :)

I also got a tip off about the symlink problem in smbfs. I am off to check that out now

I finally got Windows 2000 running under VMWare with the kernel debugger connected. It turns out that the MS debugging tools installer can not do an upgrade and I had to uninstall the old version first.

Now that it is working I can make some progress on the ext2 filesystem. If I can get reparse points working then you will be able to mount your linux filesystems in a tree and not have to worry about drive letters :)

New Advogato Features

New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.

Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.

If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!