7 Feb 2001 jmg   » (Master)

Last night I finished another book ISBN 0062585274. The MARC record:

005 19950629160347.0
035    $a (FCLAZ)AJC5084FS00003/01/199506/29/199523409Bpam a D0FS
008 940314s1994    cau           000 1 eng
010    $a    94011765
020    $a 0062585274 : $c $13.00 ($18.00 Can.)
035    $a (Source)ONIFS193-     7
035    $a (OCoLC)30075186
040    $a DLC $c DLC
049    $a FDAA ksp
050 00 $a PS3552.E7942 $b R56 1994
082 00 $a 813/.54 $2 20
100 1  $a Besher, Alexander.
245 10 $a Rim : $b a novel of virtual reality / $c Alexander Besher.
260    $a ÑSan Franciscoã : $b HarperCollins West, $c c1994.
300    $a x, 357 p. ; $c 18 cm.
650  0 $a Imaginary wars and battles $x Fiction.
650  0 $a Virtual reality $x Fiction.
655  7 $a Science fiction.
655  7 $a War stories.

Hmmm, that's interesting. They consider it a "War stories." book. There wasn't any true battles in this book, it would be more of a spy novel than anything. Oh well. This book is really a bit confusing and ends very abruptly. You get to like 20 pages left in the book and feel there should be at least another 75 or so, but he ends up finishing the book like he was on a dead line or something. Heck, the book ended so quickly that I couldn't even really tell you how it ended (except the good guys won of course). I will be going back to read the end of it sometime.

You might want to take a look at the extend attributes work that is ongoing in <project>FreeBSD</project>. I'm not the best person to contact about it, but rwatson will know most about this (at least I'm pretty sure it's rwatson). They plan on using extended attributes to store info like ACL's, plus possibly mime-type info. Shouldn't be hard to extend that to HTTP headers to be sent along with file too. No more anoying .meta files.

Well, my Python dbwrap project I started a few days ago is coming along nicely. I have it pretty functional. It wraps a DB-API 2.0 compliant driver into a dictionary like structure. So, it might look like: b[(pgdb, ':operations']['users'][('uid', 'jmg')]['registered'] = 'now' which will then set the column registered to now (assuming DateTime field where uid = 'jmg' in the table users. This makes it a bit easier to use a DB in your app instead of having to constantly write your own select/update/insert queries. I probably should reduce the number of times I do select queries, but I want to make sure I don't skip anything.

I am thinking about making the getdict function return a immutable dictionary (raise an error on __setitem__) so you don't assume that when you set this dictionary you can set it. Now that I think about it, why do I even need to support the getdict function? :) Wish I could release a binary only copy (yeh, I know about py[co] files) so people can't see how bad the code looks. I've also only tested with with pgdb (PyGreSQL) which interfaces to PostgreSQL v6.5. I might have issues with other db apis. I also don't test which parameter passing the API supports, but that's because the parameter passing the pgdb supports is kinda broken (or maybe it's because it's more designed for Python v2.0).

Oh well, enough for now. How anoying, there isn't a project tag.

Latest blog entries     Older blog entries

New Advogato Features

New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.

Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.

If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!