Argh, netscape 4.75 crashed while editing the diary, probably due to some wierdness where AbiWord mucked up my fonts. Looking forward to an X11 where fonts just work :(
Anyway, released WebMake 0.5 last night.
It's pretty nice already for static, informational sites like homepages etc.; I rejigged the Irish Internet Users pages to use it in 5 minutes, which was handy, and it's a big improvement on what I had there previously.
However I need to add more support for sites where the index page is dynamically generated from a list of static story files. Here's how it works currently:
- WebMake file indicates location of one or more story
archives, containing 1
story per file
- each file can also include meta tags to indicate
metadata, like its title,
one-line abstract, priority (aka score), section,
- some perl code gets the names of all the story
- perl code then sorts them by section, score and
- foreach item, set title, url, abstract, section,
score variables, and fill out
a user-specified template with them
- set a content item to contain that list
- list is written to whatever <out> files it's
That's all well and good, but it's not tidy; the Perl code makes it too messy... I think steps 3 to 6 need tidying up, and possibly some kind of no-perl-required way to do it.