Been a long time since I updated the diary. There's a
- been busy :( -- trying to get up a head of steam
to fight software patents in Europe -- Ireland is backing
the move, so I'm trying to get some ILUG members (myself
included) to fight it. Problem is, I don't know where to
start, myself -- letterwriting and political campaigning
are not my strong points :(
- Also, I don't think recentlog.html is scaling, it's too
to follow the diaries. Generally if I check my diary the
after posting, it's already scrolled off. This makes it
to be bothered posting, if there's a 90pc chance no-one's
to read it... after all, who actually goes to a /person page
read their diaries? 's the tragedy of the commons, innit.
But notwithstanding the latter point, I'll throw a few
into the ether on what I've read in other diaries. And
as well do an update on WebMake and sitescooper...
Released 0.7. It works quite well, generates sitemaps,
breadcrumb trails, back/forward navigation links, and other
nifty metadata things. Not sure what needs to be
done next... I have a few non-urgent plans:
generate RDF sitemaps
as suggested in Dan Bricklin's paper, URL on the WebMake
This could be cool, esp. if it can be reused to generate RSS
new" lists for My Netscape, Scripting News, oreilly.net,
access to stat() data on links
Allow automatic generation of file size info, by making file
a metadatum on a content item -- this'd be handy for
come up with an intermediate XML format for EtText
caolan suggested this one, and
a goodie. If EtText generates an XML format instead of
XHTML, it may be a neat way of (a) allowing more flexible
of the HTML, (b) allowing other output formats (WML,
(c) some neat XSL tricks.
Throw in a CGI which can parse and edit WebMake files and
and you've got good ol' "edit-in-browser" as seen on
Advogato, editthispage.com, blogger, etc.
Mebbe I'll just let it get stable first though.
Not much here -- need to fix the NYT login problem (again).
Lots of hassle with sites blocking us out of their "AvantGo
AG are taking a strong line with the sites to block us out,
it looks like. Nasty.
Mandrake caused a bit of a stink recently, with their
that Mandrake News and the Mandrake Forum would
be made palm-readable with AvantGo, and not a mention of
sitescooper or Plucker. So I've made a site file for MF,
which AG still can't handle ;).
Michael Nordström from Plucker asked for the URL of their
PDA-friendly version, but no response. hmm.
Maybe we should look into making a sitescooper-on-Mandrake
RPM for their Cooker distro, and subvert from the inside ;)
i was going to have to send < and
friends because of the break-ups in the
data flow: jabber has a wrapper around
called a <stream>. this is where things
to get scary.
It's a nasty problem -- you could try using CDATA sections,
which act as unreadable blocks of data, XML tags in there
parsed. Not sure how well libxml supports 'em though.