Older blog entries for jhylton (starting at number 2)

I finally found some time to look at the archiver code for Mailman. I made a small fix to it long ago and Barry never let me forget :-).

I fixed the archiver so that it generates useful HTML pages for mail messages that use non-ASCII character sets, either in the message body or in the headers (using encoded-words). It looks like it's working; I see lots of non-Roman characters where I used to see line noise. I also spent a lot of time refactoring the code; it had far too many long methods, including several that were almost line-for-line duplicates of the same method in a superclass.

Michael Ströder pointed out that the Pisces ASN.1 parser couldn't handle X.509 certificates, because it was choking on context-specific items that had explicit tags. Fixing this bug lead to a general cleanup of the module that makes the overall workings a bit simpler. Hopefully, I'll be able release an update soon.

I finished transferring the Python bugs database from the Jitterbug server at python.org to SourceForge. The new bug tracker is a big improvement ; it is easier to browse bugs and it is possible to assign bugs to individuals for resolution.

I wrote a Python script to do the transfer. It would probably be useful to other projects migrating to SourceForge. I should post it on my Python goodies page, but I need to move my homepage to pythonlabs.com first. (I am no longer able to access python.org.)

New Advogato Features

New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.

Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.

If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!