Having finally got gnumeric to build ok with Gnome Basic support, I have now partially tracked down te reason for the seg fault. It only crashed when I tried to run the demo program (=demo()) so I rewrote the main.gba file to be a very stripped down version of the original - essentially doing nothing. This did not cause any sort of error, so I have gradually been adding commands into main.gba to see what I can do with the plugin - with a view to adding more functionality to both the gb plugin and gb itself. Adding certain commands (.Value esp) seems to cause an error, but I have not made it seg fault again yet - that will surely come later.
I dont know yet whether I can get it to build with the cvs version of gb but that is also something else to try. At least I may be able to find some time to do a little stuff at home now. I have also been looking a little at 80x86 assembly (well I have a small Hello World program written in assembly that is working - youve gotta start somewhere). Have also been looking a little at xml with a view to using it at work for marking up data that we acquire, to allow greater flexibility in data procesing for clients.