Older blog entries for imp (starting at number 27)

Back ported the awi driver to -stable and committed it tonight.

BSDcon was good this year. Gave me a chance to help get the CARDBUS stuff into the tree. NEWCARD still has problems with 16-bit cards, but those should work themselves out shortly.

Got the chance this past weekend to work on porting an older wavelan card to -current from PAO. I'm getting close on this and hope to have something to really test in the next few days.

It looks like some of the changes to -current has really busted NEWCARD. I've not had the energy to go looking for why that might be.

More newcard stuff. I've hit many different issues in trying to get the NEWCARD drivers probing/attaching. I'm finding that many little niggling issues have come up over the course of trying to keep the same driver ABI for NEWCARD and OLDCARD.

I've added a level of indirection to make it possible to have slightly different probe/attach for OLDCARD and NEWCARD. It should also allow us to have more control in NEWCARD while still allowing simple probe routines.

Working hard to get my BSDcon paper written, before some of the code, before the September 10th deadline for its inclusion in the proceedings. Also trying to get NEWCARD hacking time under my belt so that the paper can reflect the reality of the code in about a month's time.

Also using my SO hat to get the raft of %X issues that have been coming up in the past few weeks resolved. Things have been busy.

More incremental hacking on NEWCARD. In addition, I've been given a PCI PCMCIA bridge (based on a Cirus logic part) by shigeru yamamoto-san on my trip to japan. I finally found a machine to install it into and it appears that some work will need to be done with this card before I can use it. I also purcahsed from ebay a pci pcmcia card based on the TI1031 part. At least I can get a datasheet for this card.

I've also received enough of a contract to convert the older wavelan pcmcia cards that PAO used to support. This should help bring one more thign in from PAO.

The TI1225 based pci cardbus bridge card is still hanging. It looks like I'll need to do a lot of work to make this happen in OLDCARD. NEWCARD looks like it would be easier to deal with, especially with yamamoto-san's pci BIOS work.

Finally, I have also been given a 4 serial 1 parallel port PCI card. I'll see if I can get it working with the sio driver. Man, I just have too many irons in the fire.

Yippie! I'm back to hacking on NEWCARD. I've hit a big wall on some issue, but was able to break through that wall last night. Hopefully I'll have something to commit in a few days. Much of that will depend on how much time I get. If not, then I'll likely get to it next weekend.

Of course, the tree root alarm has been sounding quite a bit, so I'll need to deal with that too :-(

The onerous task of updating all the various systems that I run is upon me again. I've almost finished all the relatively fast Intel boxes, since I have a big box to do those builds on. The slower MIPS boxes that I have are taking much longer. And with my arc box I have to update OpenBSD as well as install NetBSD/arc now that it appears to be a going concern.

But that's just build time. While things are building, I'll be hacking on porting NetBSD's pccard stuff to FreeBSD.

OK. Now that 4.1 is out the door, I can focus on doing more pccard work again. The former PAO folks are stepping up the plate to do the pccard day to day maintanence of the OLDCARD so I should be able to focus more on the NEWCARD stuff. The consulting work that I've been busy with is starting to slack off again, which will leave more time for NEWCARD.

I've also written a watchdog driver that I'm going to clean up a little and commit to FreeBSD as an example/useful driver. The interface for the watchdog that I need to do is fairly clean (write number of seconds until reset, read to disable the timer). Some of this work was paid for by a contract, so I need to get permisson for some of it to be included in FreeBSD.

I love owning a home. At least now I think that I'll have enough of the big problems knocked down to not have to worry too much about things for a while.

Spent the last few days getting the NEC MobilePro2 MC/R430 to run NetBSD/hpcmips. It seems to be working great so far. I have X up and running and am close to getting to having it be selfhosting completely.

So I have several new toys. The bullet disk from road warrior works on both NetBSD and FreeBSD. I have the Xirom CompactCard Ethernet working as well. Plus lots of different FLASH cards.

Too bad I can't get my 3C1 working.

18 older entries...

New Advogato Features

New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.

Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.

If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!