Older blog entries for igspectre (starting at number 2)

7 Feb 2001 (updated 7 Feb 2001 at 12:43 UTC) »

Today I am in Aberystwyth for the open day at the university, it is due to start in about an hour, so I am gonna spend this free time wasting away in the library surfing :)

Last saturday I went to ross's for his leaving party, it was great, even though the music wasn't quite to my taste :)

Attempted to document the entire junkbuster sourcecode, this involved printing it out (over 50pages), going through it and hand annotating it, Ankh on #gnome helped me out with some of the more obscure variable names, anyway, to cut it short, I pretty much understand how it works and it is now just a matter of switching it over to glib/libxml. Expect a 0.1 release soon :)

On the techbot front, I have not done much, although I added a file_exists() function (I know I could have used g_file_exists(), but that would have meant linking with libgnome and creating another dependancy, no thanks!). Also, I am working on adding a function for clean exit from CTRL+C.

Furthermore, I managed to get a "Java in a Nutshell" free off my CompSci teacher, it's a good book, especially for those with a background in C, it explains the language well and I am looking forward to learning it.

My complete failure to learn socket programming in 5hours has annoyed me, however, I shall continue :)

Working on a wizzy new project (as always), largely due to the fact that to integrate gijbman into junkbuster would have involved me understanding the source code, which although quite nice is tricky in some places :)

Anyway, the new project is called gproxy and is kind of a freak-hybrid between techbot and junkbuster, the function of junkbuster (a filtering proxy server) and the internal structure of techbot (a bot written in glib/libxml/popt). If you want to contribute your thoughts/code, please contact me.

Ho hum, first ever diary entry, well, today I had a play around with my webcam again. I also solicited help from alex in #gnome to help with the techbot module problem we have been having this past week, and it now works, yay. Also tried to get my head around the module structure/architecture of techbot but unfortunately as we have no working modules of yet, this is proving to be quite tricky (also add to this my meagre knowledge of C and you have a recipe for disaster!). I have physics exam tommorow *shocker* and am hoping to actually pass this time.

New Advogato Features

New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.

Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.

If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!