My Java Developer Interview Questions
Here it is! Many people have asked for this list - it's one I built, borrowed and tweaked over the years. I place a lot of value in "I don't know" over inventing answers as that's what I'd expect a colleague to do.
It's really important to tailor questions to each candidate. I'm a strong believer that a smart, experienced developer can pickup new frameworks, APIs, etc, so a lot of these questions are not Java specific.
Know the answers to any of these? :)
These are really great kinds of questions, candidates can talk approach the answer however they feel comfortable and aren't required to give "definitions" of things.
- What's the difference between TCP and UDP? (if they know, follow up asking about UDP vs ICMP)
- What's the difference between Bandwidth and Latency?
- What's the difference between an Inner Join and an Outer Join?
- What's the difference between NoClassDefFoundError and ClassNotFoundException?
- What's the difference between SAX and DOM?
- What's the difference between a Thread and Process?
- Order from slowest to fastest: register read, disk seek, context switch, read from main memory.
- Let's say you're reviewing (or writing) a simple system that requests an email address, a password and comments (in a textarea) then stores those values in a database. Pretending performance isn't an issue, what kinds of things would you ensure in place before it went live?Sometimes candidates would need some assistance on topics (security, usability, database schemas).
- Let's say McDonald's has asked you to develop their "N millions served" counter for their main website. This value comes from a slower system (via HTTP). Talk a bit about how you would design this.
- How do you traverse a cyclic graph?
Java Specific Questions
- What is autoboxing? Had any problems with it?
- Every worked with JMS topic/queue, clustered?
- How are Servlets and JSPs different?
- What does 'final' mean? Ever worked with a class marked final? (bonus points if they laugh on the second question)
- What does 'static' mean?
- List and describe different access modifiers.
- How would you diagnose a memory leak?
Random Grab-Bag Questions
A bit of systems, object-orienteering, and such.
- How do you check error conditions in bash? (If they list shell scripting)
- What's the difference between lazy and greedy regular expressions?
- What's a context switch?
- Ever worked on an "AJAX"y system? What challenges did you run into? (a little bit dated now I guess!)
- What's a deadlock? How do you prevent deadlocks?
- What is Polymorphism?
- What are the characteristics of a singleton?
General Opinion/Discussion Questions
- What makes a good build tool? What makes a bad build tool?
- What's your favourite/least favourite API/package? Why?
- Have you worked on a high-volume system before? What is "high volume" to you?
What have you been asked before?
Syndicated 2010-02-24 22:08:00 (Updated 2010-02-24 22:08:25) from Idcmp