Last week-end (or was it the one before ?)
Last week-end (or maybe the one before, I keep delaying this post), for Victoria day, we took the train to Montréal. It was actually a meetup of Range Finder Forums members.
Without order, occurred during the week-end:
- watched the Sens winning to get to the finals of the Stanley Cup. They play starting this Monday against Anaheim's Duck This happened at Hurley's.
- tried out the Epson RD-1, a digital rangefinder camera. Unfortunately I don't have the pictures as I didn't have my SD cards with me... Too bad this camera is expensive, still less than the Leica M8, but still.
- tried out a Bessa R2 rangefinder at marché Jean-Talon. For this one I have the film, but I have yet to get it processed.
- had a shoot with models. More about that later. Two fact: the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM is one of my favorite lenses (I ended up shooting most of the week-end with it), and I need to get a decent light meter for proper incident light metering.
- discovered a few places on Saint-Denis: La Baroufe, Le Passeport (a gothic night club, that turns back into a clothing shop during the day) and l'Académie, a very nice apportez-votre vin restaurant, located next to a SAQ that close at 10:00PM
I really miss living in that city. I felt that last time when attending LGM, this time just confirmed it. I miss walking down Sainte-Catherine with people in the street, in the evening or on week-ends, I miss the Metro.
Let's talk about changes. When I left they were starting to tear down the building that was hiding Saint-James-United church. Now the front of the church is free, visible. Here is what that give at dusk, from the street:
taken with an EF 50mm f1.4 USM, 1/160 f/2.5 @1600 ISO
Before that, I could only photograph this from the inside, like this, with very little distance:
taken with an EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, 1/125 f/3.5 @400 ISO
I'll go further in depth for the pictures, but the workflow for digital photography on Linux is still pretty steep...
 bring your own wine
 provincial liquor store
 pretty much uncommon, but for beer and wine, we have deps in Québec until 11:00PM
Syndicated 2007-05-29 15:24:38 from Diary of a CrazyFrench