Older blog entries for hship (starting at number 9)

I'm beginning to lean the joyrs of Python and wxPython. Maybe I wont be programming in Java for the rest of my life ... certainly not for an GUIs.

As I learn this stuff, I hope to create GUI editors for Tapestry and for Sabertooth.

Things are winding down on Tapestry for the moment. The code is stabilizing and I'm working just on bug fixes, documentation and some improvements to the JBE.

I'm also planning my next framework: Sabertooth. It's yet another approach to accessing database data. It borrows some ideas from NeXT/Apple EOF and J2EE Entity EJBs but is architected to work well in a web application environment.

I once read a quite from someone on the Quake team who said "all computer science is caching" at that's very true.

You win some, you lose some. The Java Report has accepted my article on Tapestry (though I need to put together some performance stats and UML diagrams).

However, JavaOne has turned down my proposal to present Tapestry.

Tapestry 0.2.9 is coming very soon. I really have to figure out when I can just call it "1.0.0".

Release version 0.2.8a of Tapestry just now. A little bit of savage refactoring, and I completed support for localization.

I seem to spend at least as much time documenting things as I do actually coding them.

What's in a name? I'm in the process of changing the name of the central object of a Tapestry application.

Instead of "application", it will now be "engine".

This fixes so much of the documentation! It moves the term "application" out of the real of implementation and back into the real of pure ideas.

Well, the JavaReport got my article on Tapestry and now I get to wait for a couple of weeks to see if they take it.

Just released Tapestry 0.2.7.. I'm definately getting to the point where I have to ask the question: How does it end? ... in other words, when is it finished, when does it start to really bloat?

Of course, bloat really started at least a month ago; some of the new components, ValidatingTextField, FieldLabel and Script, are far more than the "really basic" set of components I initially envisioned ... but I want Tapestry applications to really differentiate themselves and the text field components, at the least, are important for that.

Can I certify myself for more than an Observer? Let's find out.

Ok, so today I shipped my article on Tapestry to the Java Report. This is very hopeful ... it seems like the publication process for a second article is less formal than the first (I was published there in the June 2000 issue).

I got a lot of response from the first article, probably 100 e-mails, mostly like "where can I get the source code", but still very cheering. That's why I've put way more effort into Tapestry and into the Tapestry demos, in preperation for another onslaught. SourceForge will help a lot there, since it's pretty well organized.

Too bad I'm not certified yet, the current discussion about "critical mass" is very close to my heart.

I've been following several different paths to bootstrap Tapestry :

  • Using it internally for a real project -- that really shakes out the wrinkles
  • Creating good demos and making it as easy as possible to get them up and running
  • Pushing it internally (which is kind of like pollinating, since internal folks don't stay internal forever, or even that long in some cases)
  • Writing an article for the JavaReport

New Advogato Features

New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.

Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.

If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!