First chore today was to add computer #8 to the classroom before homeroom. That went fine, but then I discovered I was still missing something from runlevel 5 to make ypserv work. In the ensuing flurry of modifications, I managed to break runlevel 5, and I realized I didn't know how to boot off a floppy and change /etc/inittab off the top of my head. I had to get through period 1 computerless and fix it during my break the next period, but it was a pain. All my fault, of course.
My literacy students seemed to like using typist, even though it is just a console app. They didn't know the difference, and since I set up Eterm as their default terminal, everything looks slightly jazzy. It seems like a few of them will be able to learn quickly thanks to their Playstation dexterity.
Had some problems with AbiWord, or my students did. It seemed to choke and slow down considerably when they would try to use big fonts. I'll try to narrow that down more tomorrow.
I am going to try to compile wxGTK for RH7 now. I need it for a nicer German typing tutor. Compiling is over my head if anything goes wrong, so we'll see if I'm lucky.