OK, it has been awhile, but much has been happening. Nonetheless, I will be brief.
In terms of my classroom project, I have been working on getting slashcode to work on my server. The idea is that students can post reading responses, comment on each others, etc. I ran it for the first time today for four periods. My seventh graders had some trouble with the login process. Most of them haven't really fooled around with their mail, so it was tricky having them retrieve their passwords from e-mail. I ran out of memory and VM had to start killing processes twice. This is not surprising, I guess, in retrospect, on my 48 mb box, especially since the box is also doing NIS/NFS and lpd. I have 128 mb sitting here at home waiting for my next linux box, so I'll see if that solves the problem for the time being.
We also are in the process of starting an organization in Providence to put free software in public places, but everything, including the mission statement is still very much up in the air, so I will hold off on more about that. Needless to say, I'm excited.