This week I took time that I didn't have to code two long-overdue features for Audacity: Ogg exporting and command-line exporting. There was no good reason why I hadn't written these features yet and I got tired of Audacity not having them, so I caved and tabled all my homework (including "compose a three voice fugue") to write these new features.
Ogg exporting is working nicely, and though command-line exporting works fine for me on my little-endian Athlon, I forgot to add code for byte-swapping the WAV header. Matt wisely suggested I dump my custom WAV code and just use libsndfile like the rest of the PCM exporting code does. Though it won't be as efficient since we have to copy the data in and out of libsndfile's buffers, the robustness and reliability will be worth it.
The gap between Audacity's 0.9 branch (which we are releasing from these days) and the 1.1 branch (which we are hacking on) is becoming wider all the time. The 1.1 branch has so many significant improvements over the 0.9 branch that I wish we could dump the 0.9 branch completely. But then we would lose some of the freedom to make drastic changes on a regular basis, so it's probably a good thing in the end.